Friday, August 29, 2008

How Do You Give A Chicken A Bath?


This is Bibbi. I believe she is a faverolle...anyway, she spends probably 23 hours and 45 minutes of her day sitting in one of the nest boxes--whether there are eggs in the box or not, she sits there. Once a day I do her the favor (Yes, a favor) of shoving her out of the box so that she is forced to go eat food and drink. Of course, as soon as I do that she runs like a mad hen squawking out the coop shed and into the pen to drink water and eat some food like she has just been let out of prison and hasn't eaten in months. Really, she acts like we force her to sit there! So, my first question is, do any of you know how to discourage her from sitting in the coop so much and get out in the fresh air?

Also, because she sits there so long, when she lays an egg she tends to, sometimes (I'd say twice a week) crack the egg and get the yolk all over her stomach. She did this recently, and she has the egg sticking all over her stomach, and her feathers are all gross and ewwww, gross...so I'm going to give her a bath. I was going to give her one today, but I haven't because it's not that warm out, and we are not bringing her in the house. I think I'll do it like it says here, mixed with the way this lady here does it...except not in the kitchen.

Have any of you ever given your chickens a bath? Any suggestions?

3:34 PM

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you give a chicken a bath but I want pictures when you do!

Anonymous said...

nope, I have never given a chicken a bath. sorry! :)

Zoe said...

Can't say I have ever tried giving a chicken a bath... But let me know how it goes. lol! :)

Anika said...

interesting....the first question....its a chicken. it doesnt care about anything. it doesnt matter if its in the box all day or not. eventually it will get off. the bath thing...interesting...good luck with that! ;]

Sarah said...

Well... It's chicken. Therefore it has a teeny tiny brain. So THAT'S why she sits on the nest all day. :D Just kidding. IDK y.

And, I've never had a chicken, so no. I have never given a chicken a bath. Tell me how it goes, and take pictures!!

Allen said...

That chicken has an odd personality.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bathing a chicken! Wow. I never knew anyone did that. I want to see/hear all about it while you're doing it, k?

As for the nesting thing, several of my girls take turns nesting whether or not there are eggs in with them.
I've read that you can stick a brick in the nest box or block the entrance with wood or a sheet until they give up. But I've not yet tried it.

Good luck! :)

~Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails